Tuesday, April 29, 2008

life's little reminders...

This morning I was having a conversation with my fiance' and it started out the way a lot of our conversations do talking about what bills we needed to pay this week and how hard its becoming to stay afloat with our rent, power, car note, gas, etc..etc..And we both said almost in unison "Thank God we both have a job"...It just seems increasingly difficult to cope with the cost of living..we've been trying to maintain a certain lifestyle for the sake of our children mainly, but with rising prices, that lifestyle has been slowly draining whatever savings account we had...

Anyway, it's funny how when just when you think that your at the bottom of the barrel, God sends a message your way...

During out lunch break, we decided we weren't hungry enough to spend money anywhere to eat, so we would just go return the camera I had borrowed from my mom over the weekend..As we were on the way back to work, we passed an old man standing at the side of the road holding two octopus out. Obviously he was trying to sell them to passing motorists. We passed him and drove for a bit, and all of a sudden I told my fiance' to turn around, that I felt that we needed to use the money we didn't spend on lunch to buy those octopuses for dinner...He looked at me kinda funny but he said, ok if that's what you want. I'm not sure what came over me, but for some reason I just felt that I needed to go back and save that old man from sitting out in the sun...So we turned around and went back. The old man had a big smile on his face when we pulled up and I asked him how much he wanted for his octopus. He said, Ms. I would really like $12.00 because I need to buy a 20 lb sack of rice for my family and it used to cost only $8 but now it's $12 so I hope you don't mind if I ask for $12.00. I was stunned, $12.00 for TWO large octopus??? That was super bargain to me. But he said it like he was apologizing for asking for that much for his octopus. I quickly handed him $15.00 bucks and told him to keep the change. I didn't think his smile could get any bigger but it did. He kept thanking us and said he was headed to get his rice.

As we drove away with our octopus, I couldn't help but to get a bit teary eyed and I looked at my fiance and said...Man, we complain and we stress about having to live on our two paychecks...can you imagine what it must be like to have to live off the land and stand under the sun to sell octopus to buy rice for your family???

We are doing ok for ourselves..and yeah, we might get stressed and frustrated that we work all day to pay off our power, rent, car and other bills...but we are so thankful that at least we have jobs...

So yeah, I got more than just octopus for dinner..I got a reminder that things could be worse and to be thankful for what I do have ... :)



10 comments:

Harry Blalock said...

It's amazing what a little bit of perspective can do for our point of view and our impressions. It reminds me of an old saying, I know I will butcher it, but it went something like this..."I was depressed that I couldn't afford to buy new shoes, until I met a man with no feet".

spaholic said...

I read your post and got tear in my eyes to

God will give you more in return .

Anonymous said...

very touching indeed...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bon said...

I'm crying in my office reading this. Amidst everything going on right now, I too am grateful (not lucky) for the blessings that continue and the life I live. Thanks for the reminder today that I need to pay something forward. Have a good day Tami:)

Paguroidea said...

The hedonic treadmill... I hope researchers develop an effective vaccine against this.

Melissa said...

It sucks that someone spammed such a great post, Tami.

Jesus said in the Bible, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Keep up the good works(s), Tami!

glend558 said...

Hey, Tamara, Just because I haven't commented lately dosen't mean I'm not still reading. Nice peice you wrote here, everyone needs to take some time to reflect a bit.

G'ma said...

AMEN, Sweetie. Great reminder to everyone. God does work in mysterious ways. You have a good generous heart, and He will always look out for you.
We must always be grateful for what we have...there's always someone worst off...
Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

Great post. It is amazing what we take for granted.