Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Stimu-less

Kinda funny...Many contract workers who thought they were ineligible to receive an economic stimulus check were pleasantly surprised when they found one in the mail last Friday..including a Friend of ours' housekeeper...

The funny part, my fiance didn't get a check, he got a letter telling him he had thirty days to report to Rev and Tax and show proof that he was a US citizen and resident of Saipan or he wouldn't receive a check...Of course he is a US citizen as well as a going on 4 year resident of Saipan..so we trekked to Rev and Tax to find out what was going on...needless to say the place was a MAD HOUSE! Fortunately we found someone to assist us right away, and they took a copy of Ulu's passport and we were on our way...

I did ask, why he was singled out to have to come in to proof he was a US citizen when so many others are not..they couldn't give me a clear answer and said it was probably because of his name???? Hrmmmm...

That's what he gets for having a first name for a last name (Henry) I guess...


well, just thought that was kinda funny.... Did anyone else get that letter?

2 comments:

KelliOnSaipan said...

My question is why does he have to prove he is a U.S. Citizen when thousands of contract workers (non- U.S. citizens) are getting checks? I am very confused because I thought the newspaper said the stimulus checks were for U.S. citizens, who paid into the federal income tax system. And they are not paying to foreigners who are married to a U.S. Citizen. Very confusing.

Tamara said...

exactly what I was wondering...but no one at Rev and Tax (at least not the two ladies we dealt with) could answer our questions...I didn't think any foreign workers were going to qualify, but all of my contract workers received a check..good for them! But it was just very strange and confusing..especially that my fiance who was born in American Samoa, carries a US passport and has resided here for 4 years was singled out to proof his citizenship and residency...Hrrmmm