Sunday, October 21, 2007

A RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS!


I finally got to meet Harry Blalock in person. (Yes, I am one of 5 people left on Saipan who have never actually met him before..he he).I was very surprised when he walked into my office this afternoon and asked to see me. I had been taking a quick lunch/snack break and had a mouth full of Breadfruit chips (which I bought at Marg's bakery for a buck fifty and which are really good!)..Anyway, so he walked up to my desk, I chewed and swallowed the breadfruit chips as fast as I could, reached out to shake his hand and said "I know who you are, (DUH!) nice to finally meet you in person" and he handed me a spondylus shell...OMG! How cool is that???!!! I had mentioned to him in a comment on his blog today that I had never seen a live Spondylus before but that my children loved to collect pieces of spodylus shells at Obyan beach. They usually have a little contest between the two of them to see who can collect the most spondylus or who can find the biggest, nicest piece...My son has in fact found a couple of spondylus beads used by ancient chamorro's for money and jewelry at Obyan beach. So, it was very very cool that Harry would take the time to come by my office and actually give me a fully intact half shell...very cool and much appreciated!!! I'm going to bring it home today and show it to the kids. It will be their first time to see a whole spondylus shell too, so I'm sure they will think it's as "cool" as I do (and I'm sure they will argue over who gets to keep it..he he). :)


My spondylus shell from Harry.

Jewelry made with Spondylus beads (The orange colored ones are spondylus)

My half eaten bag of breadfruit chips :)
Thank you again Harry!

5 comments:

Harry Blalock said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the shell so much Tami. I have to ask myself if little things can mean so much to people, then why aren't we all doing more of them? I hope your kids enjoy the shell as well!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

G'ma said...

Oi, Crescenet needs 2 b translated :-) What about the google blog? Provider of what? Connect DSL for a cheap 20 centavos an hour...?...I give up! :-)

The Beachcomber said...

Hi. You may appreciate this if you like stories about Spondylus: http://beachcomberonsaipan.blogspot.com/

Please thank your brother for the museum pics on my most recent post. I will also post more about the types of Spondylus that we have in our waters using one of Harry's live pics. Thank you for the nice post!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.